As window installers, this is one of the most commonly asked questions we get and unfortunately, it’s not always obvious for homeowners when it’s time for new windows. If you’re beginning to feel overwhelmed by the process, give APK Restoration a call, our team is here to help!
Window Repair vs. Window Replacement
Knowing when to replace your windows versus repairing them can be tricky. We recommend that if the damage is anything more than cosmetic and if the windows are more than 10 years old, replacing them is the way to go.
A few other occurrences that we would recommend window replacement for include:
- Feeling a draft when the windows are closed
- Hearing a lot of outside noise with windows closed
- Frames are soft, chipped, or water damaged
- If it’s tough to open, close, or lock your windows
- Condensation or frost builds up between glass layers
Before Installing Windows
In today’s age, “do-it-yourself” is a popular model for many when it comes to home improvement. However, we do not recommend it for your window installation. By working on a window installation project yourself, it can quickly turn into a costly project if you don’t know what you’re doing. Keep in mind the following:
- Windows need to be installed level, square, and straight. If your window openings are not square, you may have to adjust them, which can involve trimming, restoration, or creating a new surface altogether. Please remember that an improper fit will allow air and water to enter through the window and into your home.
- Be sure to start with the right tools so it doesn’t drag out and expose your home to the weather.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!